FAQ and Moving Tips from the Columbia moving company Experts
Moving can be a daunting task don’t go into it blind! Below are some helpful tips and frequently Asked Questions that we have gathered over our 15 years of experience as a leading Columbia moving company. Our tips can save you time, money, and a lot of headaches during your moving process.
Non-binding estimate mean that it is not the final estimate. An estimate will clearly state whether it is binding or non-binding. If it’s a binding estimate, they legally have to follow the estimate. So make sure.
Non-binding estimate: A non-binding estimate provides you with a general idea of what the move will cost. A visit will be scheduled where the mover will complete a binding estimate.
Binding estimate: A binding estimate is the final cost to you. The mover is legally bound to this price.
As Ellicott City movers we will make sure you know the difference.
Upon requesting an estimate the mover will give you the following information.
- A copy of the written binding or non-binding estimate
- A copy of “Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move”
- Settlement program information
- Contact information for the mover
On the day of your move the moving company will supply a copy of the bill of lading.
At the time of delivery the mover must supply a copy of the completed bill of lading and scale weight tickets.
Yes. The moving company is also liable for any loss or damage caused during transit unless the cause for the loss or damage was due to common law defenses:
- Act of nature
- Omission by the shipper
Improper packing falls under an act of omission. As Ellicott City Movers we recommend you pack carefully.
The following are things we will not load on our trucks.
- Aerosol cans
- Car batteries
- Llighter fluid
- Scuba tanks
- Chemistry sets
- Cleaning solvents
- Fire extinguishers
- Household batteries
- Liquid bleach
- Loaded guns
- Nail polish and remover
- Paint thinners
- Pool chemicals
- Propane tanks
- Rubbing alcohol
- Sterno fuel
- Weed killer
- Keep your phone service on and active on moving day.
- It will make the process easier if your children or pets are being cared for by a relative or friend.
- Order all your packing supplies in advance so you can get started packing early.
- Packing yourself? Make sure you pace yourself so that all the packing is done before the big day. Unpacked items can cause annoying delays and extra expenses.
- Write the room the box is going in on each box, and a short description of the contents on the side of the box. Let the movers know what room is what when unloading from the truck.
- You might not have to empty your dresser check with us and we will let you know.
- Large items such as cabinets and desks must be emptied before hand.
- The morning of the move, pack all the stuff in your fridge in a cooler.
- Take apart any furniture that you can. Furniture like cribs, beds, mirrors that are attached to a dresser, removable table legs, things like that.
- Try to wind up cords and box them together for less confusion. (television,stereo, and computer cords)
- Don’t forget to pack the tray inside the microwave, it’s glass.